Friday, April 28, 2017

The Ferrari of Motorcycles

The Ferrari of Motorcycles

I only met him twice, and both times it was sort of an accident. I was down at Ernie's helping to tech inspect cars before one of the Monterey Historic races. That would have made it the first weekend in August, though I don't recall the exact year.

Ernie had known Steve Earle longer than I had, and it was a sign of respect by Steve that he allowed Ernie to hold a pre-event inspection two weekends prior to the Historics. This was a big help to those of us who could take advantage of it. It helped ease the congestion surrounding inspection at the track just before the race weekend, and also gave participants a chance to make corrections before finding out at the event itself that something was wrong and then scrambling around trying to make a correction at the last minute.

I never brought my own car to these. With Ernie as my mentor he quickly gained confidence in me to the point that he would say “I can tech your car by phone,” meaning he was sure that I had verified both its safety as well as conformance to the rules. At some point during the pre-inspection day he would surreptitiously slip me the required sticker, and then would sign my log book when we first connected two weeks later in the paddock.

For me, volunteering at pre-tech as well a number of times at the event itself was an education. I learned a lot about how different builders solved various technical problems. I also quickly found out which owners were themselves both knowledgable and skilled. Some cars were so clean and solid you could eat off the floor, while others were so obviously a lackadaisical attempt to slide by with a minimum slap-dash approach to both safety and rules that I'm still amazed that anyone would think they could pass the most cursory look. I'm also amazed at what some people think is OK in terms of safety. I quickly came to think the three scariest words in an ad for a race car were “ready to race.”

Ernie's place was a tribute to his cleverness. Though his career never made him much money he managed to design and build a three bedroom, two bath house with space to work on cars, first in front with a pit so he could get underneath, and later a 1500 square foot shop behind the house. I really need to devote at least a full blog entry to the man, but for this one it is only necessary to say that the inspections were held out front on a parking pad, followed by grilled hot dogs back by the shop later in the day. We would pitch a couple of bucks into a kitty and Ernie would do the cooking honors. It was always fun to see a bunch of pretty exotic machines trailered in and parked in front of the house over the course of the day.

Almost no one actually drove to the house, as most of the cars were not street legal. Ed Archer was an exception. His racer was and remains a bright yellow Ford Model T Speedster, and Ed embraces the part fully, dressed in white coveralls with goggles, boots, and a leather helmet, and sporting a handlebar mustache right out of the era for the car.
What year is it?
 The car had died a few blocks from Ernie's house so a couple of us went to collect him...somewhere around De Anza and Stevens Creek Boulevards in Cupertino. Quite a show.

Anyway, while I had my head buried under the lid of a GT40 I heard something that was clearly not a race car and yet still made the hair on my arms stand up and take notice. Banged my head on the car as I popped up to stare at an apparition...a guy wearing boots, leather chaps, a leather vest over his shirt, and a leather beret...astride a Vincent Black something...whether a Black Shadow or Black Lightning I couldn't say as the bikes to me were ghosts I knew only as whispers in the darkest of nights...so exotic they made the early Ferraris I was familiar with seem almost commonplace.
Pure mechanical jewelry
I knew of Vincents only through articles almost as rare as the bikes themselves. I had never seen one.

Dave Molloy turned out to be a neighbor of Ernie's from a couple of blocks away. Along with Llew and Bill Kinst these guys made up a weird little underground classic vehicle hotbed in a tiny corner of unincorporated Santa Clara county called Monte Vista. The few blocks around Errnie's house were a strange mixture of residences and car related businesses...mostly body shops. It turned out that Molloy not only lived there and owned this magnificent beast, but actually ran a Vincent restoration business out of his place.

The very idea of someone stocking parts to restore Vincents nearby was so implausible...but then Bill and Llew were doing something similar though not as totally focused, mainly but not always involving Porsches of one type or another. Dave invited me over to see his setup after the tech session ended. His two car garage contained three customer bikes in various stages of restoration, along with shelving units stacked with neatly labeled boxes of parts.

Everything on a Vincent is pure jewelry...the motor alone is eye candy.
Love and passion in every polished
and machined part
 What isn't polished is beautifully painted, and every piece is sculpted to look as well as it functions. Like virtually all Italian cars from the same era the pride of the manufacturer is apparent before you ever fire it up. But the fact that it is British and not Italian is so startling that you find it hard to believe. I love British cars and bikes, but everything out of England in the years after WWII always is so...agricultural you think it must be steam powered. It was a privilege just to be allowed into Dave's shop.

A few years later John Lewis and I were chasing a pretty special train along Interstate 80. Whoops...there he is again. I told you he would keep popping in and out of my stories. Though I was closer to Ernie and John was never a role model ( his mechanical work was embarrassing), he was much more...entertaining than Boss Mendicki...though Ernie had his own great stories and personality as well.

What we were chasing was the Western Pacific restored F3 diesel which in the late 1940s had pulled the famous California Zephyr passenger train.
 One of the engines had been restored and was being run “up the mountain” through the Sierras, along the Southern Pacific rails now part of the Union Pacific system. We would out race the train, stop as close to the tracks as we could, snap some photos, and jump back in to get ahead of it again. Our last shot at this was going to be when it came into and stopped for a short time at a little town called Colfax. Renamed after Speaker of the House and later Vice President Schuyler Colfax, the town is 2500 feet up the Sierra Nevada foothills, some 50+ miles above Sacramento. The station is a typical SP structure and sits right across the tracks from the tiny downtown.
Typical of most Southern Pacific (now Union Pacific) stations
More are being restored now than torn down,
though only a few, like this, are still active rail passenger depots


After the train left we decided to walk across the tracks to a little cafe on the adjacent main street. The pretty waitress's name tag said she was called “Sierra.” Being of a certain age I was pretty sure I remembered when unusual names like these first made the scene, and told her I thought I could guess when she was born...1972. I hit it right on the head, which surprised and pleased her, until I made some idiotic comment stating I could also guess what her parents were smoking the night she was conceived. That definitely did not please her. Should have quit when I was ahead.

But I had little time to recover as just at that moment the door to the cafe opened, and in stepped a guy wearing...boots, leather chaps, a leather vest over his shirt, and a leather beret. Really?

I know you,” I said confidently.
Not a chance,” he replied. I couldn't remember his name, so the best I could come up with was:
If I say the name Ernie Mendicki, will that get your attention?”
Who the hell are you?” he asked, somewhat incredulous.
Once we completed that dance he invited John and me to his new digs outside town, near a little place called “Chicago Park.” A bigger shop, more Vincents, but the same attention to cleanliness and detail.

Sometime later I learned that another member of what I came to call the “Cupertino Mafia” even though he lives in Los Altos, also has a Vincent. Gary Hubback has stuff stashed away in various “rooms” in his two story shop as well as a couple of other roofed lean-tos. His is a story for another day, but recently I was at his place and asked to see his recently completed restored 32 Ford 3 window coupe hot rod. There sitting just beyond was...this jewel. 
Gary's Vincent
Sitting just byond his latest restoration...
32 Ford 3 window coupe hotrod

Then there's also the one Don Bell has and which Llew and I tinkered on one day. I wouldn't say the bikes have become exactly common, but it does seem that the folks I know in the car world also have an affinity for special two wheeled machinery as well. But it started with Molloy, who apparently is still there outside of Colfax, and still working on these wonderful machines. He's about halfway down this page: http://www.thevincent.com/vin-suppliers.html


Oh, in case you're interested...a nice one will set you back about 100 large. Pretty reasonable compared to a 250TR.

No comments:

Post a Comment